Home About Contact PR Fashion Life Beauty The List Product Directory

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Packing for University | Things you need

Source: We Heart It
Hey,

So as part of my university series today I'm going to be talking about things you should pack for uni. I'm focusing on the things that may not be at the front of your mind, or may be easy to forget about. These are all things which I needed and used during my first year at uni.

1. Laundry Hamper/Basket
This may not be at the top of your agenda but they're really handy and often forgotten about.  This is helpful to store your dirty clothes in while your waiting for a big enough load to wash them. (Washing your clothes at uni can be expensive, for me it was £2.50 a wash and £1 a dry, so it's best to wait until you've got a big bundle of clothes before doing washing). It's also helpful for transporting your clothes to the laundry room as it will probably be a short walk from your room.

2. A Doorstop
These are essential in my opinion, on the first day you want to appear as friendly as possible and having your door open is one way to achieve that. If your door is locked/shut people will be more intimidated and may not want to knock. Remember, everyone is feeling nervous and out of their comfort zone.

3. Washing tablets, not powder
I didn't realise until after I got to Uni that my washing machines would only take tablets and had no draw for washing up powder. I recommend taking tablets as you'll always be able to use tablets.

4. Films
I really recommend taking a selection of your favourite films. You can't go out every night as the costs mount up pretty quickly. A great night in is watching a film with your friends, it doesn't cost anything and can be great to discover new films you may have never seen.

5. Clothes Hangers
Chances are you won't be provided with hangers, or if you are, nowhere near enough. Make sure to try and bring as many as possible. If you can hang up your clothes then there's less chance of them getting creased and so less chance of you needing to iron them.

6. Passport Photos
It's best taking some of these, you have no idea what you'll need or want to apply for once you get there, and it's far better to already have them than to have to try and find a photo booth in a new town/city you may not know very well at all.

7. Photographs of friends/family
It's natural to get homesick, so having these around your room will help make you feel better. Also, your student room will often be bland and boring so these are a great addition that can easily brighten up your room and make it look more personalised.

8. Whitetack/Pins
You can't use Blu Tack on university walls incase it leaves marks, but you can use white tack. I'd suggest bringing some of these with you so you can put up posters in your room to decorate it. I'd also bring pins for the corkboard, as you may want to put up photographs or important documents.

So that is pretty much all of the things I can thing of, I hope this helped some of you, I'd love to hear from you in the comments below.


 
 
Twitter | Pinterest | RSS | BlogLovin' | Google + | SheSaidBeauty