Home About Contact PR Fashion Life Beauty The List Product Directory

Tuesday 14 January 2014

#YOLO


My blog is primarily fashion and beauty based (the name kind of gives that away), but sometimes I like to share my thoughts with you. Today I wanted to write about YOLO. #YOLO some people love the message it brings and thinks it shows you shouldn't be afraid to follow your dreams, while others think it is just an excuse for people to do stupid things without thinking of the consequences.

So which side am I on? To be honest with you, as overused #yolo is, I do love the message it has. So many times in my life, I know I've haven't done something that I want to do because I'm scared of what people might think. I'm scared to truly be myself and live my life to the full because of how I might be seen or worries that someone might not like me. And the truth is, why does this matter? Why should you care about what others think as long as you are happy?

Take this blog for instance. I wanted to start up a beauty blog for the longest time. I love beauty and fashion, and also enjoy writing. Also, with the degree I'm doing (I do Law), I don't get a lot of chances to be creative or to write (about anything other than law), so this blog fills that gap. However, for the longest time I put off doing it because I was worried what people might think of me doing. Would they think I wasn't good enough to be telling people which beauty products were good or bad? Would they think I didn't write well? Would people think I was weird for having a blog? Being young, how people see you is seen as so important. Teenage life (and beyond) is all about having as many friends as possible and being seen as 'cool', but what is the point? I remember in school people used to get hung up on how popular they were, like it was the most important thing in the world. And now we've all done a year at university, nobody cares what the people they went to school think about them anymore.

So all those things people may or may not have done while at school because they wanted to be popular was a waste. I can guarantee people will look back with regret wondering what the point of it was, when 2 or 3 years later it was insignificant. And this attitude extends beyond school, people are constantly in fear of how they will be perceived. But the truth is, we do only live once, so we should make the most of it. Do what you want to do and not what you think you should do. In the end, you spend more time regretting not doing the things you wanted than you do regretting the things you did do.

What do you think of #yolo? Do you think it inspires people to be their own person and not worry what others think? Let me know in the comments.



Twitter | Pinterest | RSS | BlogLovin' | Google + | SheSaidBeauty